Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

2nd part of verse 1

This section proceeded easier than I thought it would as it turned out to be like writing a recitative. There is minimal accompaniment and spoken text, first by the soprano and then the audience being lead by the soprano. In a concert setting, this spot should be rehearsed once or twice with the audience prior to performance. The words would need to be printed in the program. While the rhythms are fairly simple, I wish I knew how to make the words appear on the screen with a bouncing ball above the words. I'll have to try to see if Power Point can do this. If anyone has a suggestion how this could work, please let me know.

This composing session ended with my working on the transition to the second verse. It is interesting to note that Whitman ends each verse with the words "Fallen cold and dead" but it is not until verse three that the narrator actual believes that the captain (his father) is actually dead. This doubt is expressed in my transition by the uncertain intervals in the flute and clarinet parts.

On weekends, I try to take a little break from composing as I find I work better when getting away from music for short periods of time. Does anyone else work this way?

To see and hear what I have written thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/fourpoemsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: