Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Divertissement - VI. Galop for woodwind doubler and piano

I created two versions of the final movement, one for woodwind doubler and piano and the other for piccolo and piano. The basis of the work was Divertissement for oboe, piano and percussion and the last movement, Galop had a lot of interplay between xylophone and piano. The xylophone part ended up in both the piano and solo part.

Let me discuss the woodwind doubler version first. The first thing I did was to listen through the movement and make some decisions regarding the order and places for instrument changes. I tried to pick sections that were characteristic for each instrument, but since this movement is a rondo form and had several repeated A sections, the order of the instruments took precedent. I knew that I wanted to start with bassoon because setting up a seat strap was easier at the beginning of a movement. I also heard the more lyrical section from M. 47-84 as being a saxophone line. I knew that I wanted to end with flute with a change to piccolo for the last two measures. That just left me where to put the clarinet and oboe and I decided to have the clarinet after the bassoon and the oboe after the saxophone.

My next consideration was making sure there was enough time to make the changes. The spots I chose for the switching all had long enough piano interludes except at measure 20. Originally there were only 2 measures here and I expanded it to 8. The other spot that has me concerned is measure 80. There only four measures of fast 2/4 to change from saxophone to oboe. If this is not enough time, I could insert 2 measures of silence after measure 82 that I think would be effective.

I wanted to do a piccolo version of the last movement for marketing purposes. Each movement of this piece could stand alone as a short piece for flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, and now piccolo. I will also publish the work as a woodwind doubler's dream (or nightmare, depending upon how one views it). While working on the piccolo version, I realized that the last measure works better up an octave. I changed it on my woodwind doubler version, but did post the changes here so you need to imagine the last measure up an octave.

Both versions are posted for your perusal.

To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/divertissement_mixed_woodwinds_blog.html. You will be viewing a transposed score.


As always, your comments are appreciated.

Dr. B

1 comment:

Bret Pimentel said...

Hi Sy,

I'm really excited about how this turned out. My comments turned out sort of long, so I posted them over at my blog.