Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Conundrum in Cincinnati

I am now in Kansas City on my way to Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas. I spent most of last week in Cincinnati working with the chamber ensemble Conundrum. They commissioned me to write a piece for soprano, flute, clarinet, and piano. They also arranged a residency and premiere for the students at Cincinnati's High School for the Creative and Performing Arts. The musicians of Conundrum are wonderful. We did a recording session while I was there of the Four Songs that I just wrote for them and my Scenes from Tom Sawyer. Both of these will be released along with three other chamber works of mine on a CD soon. The recording session went well and I thought we had enough takes of everything that I could edit a fine recording. Most of what was recorded was great but there are a few spots that need to be done again. It is amazing what one hears when one listens to tracks over and over. The microphone and recorder are the best critics. I am hoping that we can arrange another hour to record on my way home from Kansas to get better takes of these few spots.

The residency at CCPA was a little disappointing. Due to schedules and make-up city-wide testing because of snow days, the audiences were small and some kids were in and out. Parts of my presentations generated interest with some of the students, but I had hoped to connect with more of them.

I am hoping to find a little time to compose while in Kansas. I have ideas for the last movement of Goulash that I'd like to get notated. I am also starting to receive rehearsal recordings of works I've written for other musicians whose performances and recording sessions are approaching. It is a busy time for me, but I like it that way.

I'll try to report on my stay at KSU after Wednesday, but I'll be putting on the miles driving home and my wireless internet connection varies with where I camp. Please feel free to comment on my posts or share your experiences related to the topic. It seems like there are a lot of readers of my blog and I'd love to hear from you.

Dr. B

1 comment:

Janelle Gelfand said...

HI, I enjoyed your post about Conundrum. I hope they'll play some of your pieces in concert this season. Best wishes, Janelle Gelfand, Cincinnati Enquirer
My blog: cincinnati.com/classicalmusic