Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Regal Variations Finished

I had finished Regal Variations about two weeks ago but have not had time to write because we have been busy with doing some house remodeling. I hope to get back to posting more regularly once things calm down.

Variation V is unique in that in begins by varying the melody of variation 4, which is in itself, a variation of the main theme. It is also unique in that the introduction idea plays a prominent role throughout. The flute plays this introduction idea in measures 1 & 2 which becomes expanded in measures 3 & 4 and the expanded even more in measures 5-8. The clarinet inserts fragments of the variation 4 melody in the silences between the flute phrases. The clarinet expands these fragments leading to its longest statement in measures 10-12. At measure 13, the flute uses a phrase of the introductory to link to a rhythmic accompaniment that is built off of the introduction ideas from measures 14 - 21. Going against this accompaniment, the clarinet plays a rhythmic variation of the variation 4 melody. After a return to the introductory section in a new tonality at measure 22, the flute and clarinet interchange what they played at 13-21 in measures 34-41. Measure 42 ushers in the transformation in the clarinet of the original theme now in a more "regal" setting while they flute continues the accompaniment ideas. At measure 52, the two parts change roles and there is a shift in tonality. A hemiola section during the last 4 measures feels like a written out ritard that brings the variation at the piece to its climatic end.

This was a fun and challenging piece to compose. For those of you who have played duets, you probably know that duets are more fun for you to play than for your audience who listens to it. It is very challenging to write interesting a varied music for only two instruments. It is hoped that my blog on the composing of Regal Variations will give my readers some new ideas on how to write for two instruments.


To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go tohttp://www.cooppress.net/regalvariationsblog.html
The score is in concert pitch.

Dr. B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. B,

I, to, have written a duet between two instruments, but it was a work commissioned to me by a friend of mine at my former high school. Currently, I will be attending Ohio University in Athens, OH and I am also writing a symphony; along with two or three other wind ensemble works. I love composing for wind bands and I wanted to let you know that you've really inspired me to continue my composing aspirations. One question: what would you say is a good strategy to starting a piece and developing ideas?

Thank You,

Carlton L. Winston