Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Walk In Balance and Beauty Part 3 and other thoughts

This past week I worked on the third Native American saying which is an Indian Blessing:

Let us walk softly on the Earth
with all living beings great and small
remembering as we go, that one Great Spirit
kind and wise created all.

My goal in this section was to create a prayer-like mood. The last note of the flute interlude sets up the a minor tonality for the voices at measure 57. It does not stay in a minor long as by measure 58, it is already moving to f minor which is the tonality that dominates this section. The texture is primarily harmophonic in the a cappella choir with only a few uses of percussion for color and rhythmic fill. At Measure 65, the flute enters with an obligatto while the choir becomes imitative for four measures before returning to a harmophonic style.

After I completed this section, I reviewed what I have composed thus far. My impression was that I needed some more variation, not so much in notes and texture, but in tempo and dynamics. This section is slightly faster than the previous section and crescendos and diminuendos were added. Sometimes I wait until I have all the notes written before adding much dynamics to give the piece its final shape. But in this instance, the shape is integral to my setting of the text.

Also during this week, we at Co-op Press reviewed our grant programs as the recession has created some challenges for us to continue these programs the way they were. We were able to come up with solutions that enable us to keep these programs going. If you are a performer and are interested in having a composition written for you, then I encourage you to look at what we have to offer.

From Nov. 2-6, I'll be in Grand Junction, CO at Mesa State College for a premiere of my Regal Variations for Flute and Clarinet by the Ballif Duo and to teach a 3 day composition seminar. I am looking forward to the experience.

To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/walk_in_balance_and_beauty_blog.html

Dr. B

No comments: