Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Concertino Completed

I have now completed the "Concertino" as I also borrowed parts of the fast movement from the 1978 work for saxophone and piano. This movement was more difficult to work with than the slow movement because it had more extended sections featuring the piano. I decided to omit those sections and it balances the other movements very well. I also inserted a saxophone cadenza which was not present in the original work. Once again, I softened some of the dissonances, however, this movement is more dissonant than the other two movements. The staccato eighth notes often are more percussive than truly harmonic and adds rhythmic excitement to the movement.

There are once again, two main themes in this movement, the staccato idea, and the more sustained and lyrical idea. There is a development section in the middle. After the cadenza the opening material returns, but the sustained theme is varied quite a bit by giving parts of it to the saxophone over a triplet accompaniment.

To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/concertino_blog.html

Dr. B

No comments: