Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Grass Roots 2nd Movement Continued

It didn't take me long to get over the hurdle of where to go next. The inspiration came while I was at concert of the Verde Valley Sinfonietta on Saturday Night. The 2nd piece on the program was a Mozart Clarinet Concerto and the first movement is a sonata form where the orchestra plays the themes then the clarinet. It was this simple form of repetition that gave me the idea of where I needed to go next in this 2nd movement.

I was originally thinking that I needed a change of thematic material at measure 11 where all I needed was a change in instrumentation. I put the tuba line from the first 10 measures in the right hand of the piano and gave the left hand a combination of what the two habns were doing before, although I used more left hand material than right hand. I also elaborated the right hand with harmony at times and extra notes so that the ideas flow a little more when compared to the first 10 measures.

I continued on at measure 21 with a quieter tuba line and a more flowing piano part. This section is like a quiet seething. The alternating eighth note accompaniment is varied as the hands switch beats after 2 measures. I expect to continue on in this manner for a while.

To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/grass_roots_blog.html

Dr. B

No comments: