Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Arizona Centennial Commission

I just received word that I won the Arizona Centennial Commission's Composition Commission to write a new band composition to celebrate Arizona's 100th Anniversary in 2012. The piece is to made available to high schools, colleges/universities, community bands, and professional/semi-professional ensembles throughout the state, so I should get many performances. In addition, I will receive $5,000! I was selected out of the many Arizona composers who applied for this project, so the competition was stiff. The judges were professional musicians and conductors from Arizona. I will be working on the piece during the first part of 2010 as it needs to be completed by June.

The piece that I envision writing, would be a five-minute composition called “Arizona Centennial Overture”, celebrating the various cultures that make Arizona a unique blend of old and new. Sections of the overture would depict the indigenous cultures, the Spanish and Mexican heritage, the early pioneers, and finally, the recent diverse population growth.

I am also excited because I should get some good publicity and recognition as a composer in my new home state that may lead to other opportunities. I am humbled and thankful for this opportunity.

May my readers be blessed with a joyous holiday season and a wonderful 2010.

No comments: