Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year and 60X60

I wish all my readers a very Happy New Year! May 2010 bring you all that you wish for.

I was inspired during the second half of December to compose a piece to enter in the Orchestra 60X60 Composition Competition. This unique project selects 60 one minute or less compositions and combines them into one large piece that will be played by several orchestras around the world and broadcast on many radio stations. The idea of creating a one-minute piece intrigued me because there is not much time for development of ideas. I came up with the title "Vortex" after doing a crossword puzzle where this was the answer to the clue "eddy". A trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon is what came to mind immediately. The danger and excitement of the opening measures give way to a playful woodwind canonic section. The mood changes often reflecting the fickleness of the river, but the overall tension of a hidden vortex is always present.

I was pleased with the result. To my surprise, the piece is cohesive yet interesting. It was challenge to limit myself to less than a minute and I think it is a worthwhile activity for all composers to do.

Since I am entering the work in a competition, I am not providing a link for you to see and hear the piece. Once the competition is over, I will provide the link.

Dr. B

No comments: