Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Transcription of Bach Orchestra Suite No. 1 - Overture completed

I have completed the Overture and made one major change from what I posted last time. I found that I really needed another alto voice instead of the soprano voice so I changed the soprano saxophone to alto saxophone. In doing so, I had to re-score the first thirty five measures, but the change was worth it as it enabled me to keep everything within range and to rest each of the instruments more often.

I toyed with the idea of bringing the piece down a step to Bb major as the alto saxophone enters the altissimo register at one point and the bass clarinet gets into its upper register frequently. If I brought
the movement down to Bb, the bassoon would be at the bottom of its range a few times. I decided to hold off making this decision until I do the other movements as I would like to preserve key relationships between movements if at all possible. I also want to see how the quintet members feel about this transcription.

I did not change my thinking regarding articulation, dynamics and resting the musicians and hopefully the reader can see my consistent approach regarding these elements.

To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/bach_orchestra_suite_blog.html. You will be viewing a transposed score.

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Dr. B

No comments: