Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

American Vignettes for Brass Quintet Movement 4

Movement 4 is a trombone feature and represents the Southwest. The Southwestern flavor is accomplished through alternating 6/8 and 3/4 and the bright colors of the muted brass playing staccato eighth note rhythms and "ay" sounding motifs. The tonality and melody are also very traditional and once again I was looking for ways to spice it up a little without destroying the folk nature of the movement. I varied the meter by changing to 4/4 or 5/4 where one expects to hear 3/4. I inserted some chromaticism to add variety to the melody. I even slightly changed the melody when it repeats for some variety and use contrapuntal lines often. Another technique I used was a canon at measure 30. I also used an augmented triad as a substitute for a V7 in some places.

The form of this movement is like a verse-chorus. I think of the 3/4, 6/8 alternation as the verse and the straight 3/4 as the chorus. The chorus contains the more attractive melody and I use that more often than the verse.

To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/american_vignettes_blog.html. You will be viewing a transposed score.


As always, your comments are appreciated.

Dr. B

No comments: