Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Phantasie on Singaporean Folk Songs Mvt. 3 now Mvt. 1

Last week I received some brief comments from May Phang regarding the first two movements and I found them useful in formulating a style and treatment for this last movement. Upon completion of this movement, I realized that this would be a better first movement and my previous first movement, a better ending movement. The only thing I felt I needed to change was the ending, as it wasn't strong enough for a final movement.

After inquiring how many movements would there be, May's comments were as follows : "Would it be possible for some movements to be less angular in style, and more fantasie-like? (e.g. fluidity of line, blend of harmonies and colors)." I felt that the second movement accomplishes a lot of this and I believe that she was mainly referring to the fast movement that was the former first movement.

My original intent for the last movement was to not reveal the folksong "Munnaeru Vaalibaa" in its entirety until the end of the movement, using motives from the song in a developmental fashion leading up to it. But that intent changed after reading May's comments and I created my own extended melodies out of parts of the folksong. By the way, you can hear what these folksongs sound like by searching for them on youtube. I did use the fragments for the introduction (m. 1-12) that has sustained arpeggios with different motives occurring as an answer to the arpeggios.

M. 13 begins my original melody based upon the first two measures of the chorus of the song. It is accompanied by triplet arpeggios and modulates from G major to the mediant key of B major after 8 measures. At M. 30-45, some of the motives of the verse of the song are used as the basis of my second theme. This theme is accompanied by 16th note scales and arpeggios. This section modulates to remote keys almost every four measures. It winds down to an interlude beginning at M. 46 than is thinner in texture and uses 4/4 alternating with 3/8.

M. 61 begins an intense development section that uses a motive from the introduction to the song. At first the motive is accompanied by triplet arpeggios, then two-part and three-part imitation of the motive occurs. The modulations to remote keys occur almost every two measures at times.

At M. 86, the 4/4 3/8 interlude returns but incorporates the three note motive from the previous section and expands it at M. 93. M. 100 brings back the material from M. 13-60 in a slightly varied form. M. 134-155 serves as a second development section, once again using similar material as the first development. M. 156 begins a presto coda using the syncopated figure from the verse section interspersed with swooping arpeggios.

Indicating pedaling became very important in this movement and I reviewed the other two movements for pedaling as well. Any changes I made now appear in the scores that are posted. There were times where pedaling wouldn't work because of needing clarity of line in one of the hands. In those instances, I used ties to indicate sustaining. My only concern is that all the ties make reading the notation more difficult, but I couldn't see any way around it.

To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/Phantasie_on_Singaporean_Folksongs_blog.html. You can view and hear the score if Scorch is downloaded on your computer and/or listen to the mp3 file.

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Dr. B

No comments: