Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Modern Jazz Suite Movement 1

I am currently working on a composition for alto saxophone and guitar for two Texas State University faculty members, Todd Oxford and Mark Cruz. They want a crossover piece that might use electric guitar and I decide to write a Modern Jazz Suite with the movements being Bebop, Cool, Third Stream, and Jazz Rock.

The first movement starts with an ABAB head then has a sax solo accompanied by percussive use of the guitar. Then the guitar has a solo with slap tonguing used in the sax to imitate a bass line. Then the two instruments trade two measure solos with the guitar being a "Drum" again. Lastly the head comes back with some slight variations leading to the end. I really didn't follow a chord progression. The movement is more linearly conceived with the lines dictating where they want to go and the harmony a result of voice leading in colorful chords.

I am now using flip pdf technology for the musical examples that go along with my posts. It uses Flash Player that most browsers come with. You will be hearing an mp3 of sampled sounds playing the music and you will see the score at the same time. You will need to turn the pages by clicking on the arrows at the appropriate time. To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/modern_jazz_suite_blog.html.

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Dr. B

No comments: