Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Poem 4 Verse 1 into verse 2

Yesterday I began to work on setting Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken". I kept hearing some "travelling" music in my head and needed to get it notated before I forgot what I was hearing. The first verse is essentially a duet between the clarinet and voice with a short flute figure inserted for punctuation on longer notes. The piano is used as well, but more percussively, as it is has a wide spread between hands and each hand uses fourths, fifths, and the occassional third, which give some harmonic support, but is intentionally hollow sounding. The meter changes between 7/8, 5/8, 6/8, and 4/8. A short three part canonic section between flute and piano serves as an interlude between verse 1 and verse 2.

To see and hear what is discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/fourpoemsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: