Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, October 29, 2007

5th Movement

This morning's work went quite easily. I decided to have the saxophone play the 1st four measures by itself and then I repeated those four measures in the piano. I first added a mostly staccato scale-wise bass line but changed to a slurred line in contrary motion in two spots (measures 6 and 8). I also filled in the harmony in measure six as well. These are not any particular chord progressions but just sounds I thought worked well both vertically and horizontally. In measure 7 on the last beat, I have the left hand imitate what the right hand did one beat before. In measures 9-13, the left hand of the piano follows the saxophone part canonically down an octave and a beat later. In order to keep the clarity of this imitation, I did not bring the right hand of the piano in until measure 13 where it imitates the saxophone part up an octave and one beat later. After all the chromaticism, the movement ends quietly and ironically in Bb minor.

I am really at a loss as to the title for this movement. It sounds, witty, sarcastic, and ironic, but I haven't found an appropriate microcosm for this mood. Once again, I ask my readers for their assistance.

I work in concert pitch, but the score I am posting has the saxophone part transposed.

To see and hear what is discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/microcosmsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: