Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

7th Movement

I called the 7th Movement "Four A.M." because I think the title captures the loneliness I envision of someone walking the streets all alone. This can be seen as a microcosm of all the times we feel alone in the world. To capture this mood, I made the piano part very harmonic, not in the sense of chord progressions, but more as color chords. I derived a lot of the chord structures from the notes of the saxophone melody. I first tried to decide where I wanted the chords to change and then I put the notes of the saxophone line together harmonically for those beats. Sometimes I used only some of the notes and other times I added notes not in the saxophone line. The wide spacing between the left and right hands also adds an air of vagueness. I used my ear to find the sounds that I wanted. Some of the chords were derived by linearly moving the piano part to create a pattern or line itself (for example measures 7 & 8). The other thing I did with the harmony was to have it anticipate the saxophone part with the change of chord (measures 1 & 2). The piano occasionally imitates part of the saxophone line (measures 3, 17, 19, 20). In measure 9 the piano has running 16th notes that help intensify the climax, and in measures 10-13, the piano left hand is a key element in relaxing the tension and serves as a countermelody to the saxophone. Therefore my piano part is a combination of many different techniques that create variety for the listener and support for the saxophone line.

I work in concert pitch, but the score I am posting has the saxophone part transposed.

To see and hear what is discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/microcosmsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: