Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Lan Na Thai 1st movement Continued

Over the past few days, I have worked on the second section of the piece. This section is more intense than the first section. It begins at 39.6" and continues until 1'30". Since I am trying to stay with a limited scale system, I needed to find other ways to introduce variety into this composition. This section has a steadier rhythmic feel although the rhythms that I use are very varied therefore still creating a sense of improvisation rather than strict 4/4 time. This section is also more contrapuntal as the saxophone and the 4 other pre-recorded sounds are all active. I even use a little bit of imitation from 1'03.6" to 1'08.4". At 1'10.8" I bring an earlier section back (27.6" to 39.6") but add parts to that section so that it fits with the previously established energy. 1'22.8' uses the taiko drum to transition back to a calmer feel.

The alto saxophone part is in concert pitch while I compose the piece. The recorded accompaniment sounds are not accurate on the MIDI playback. The shakuhachi plays back like a saxophone instead of a flute and the gong ageng plays as a cymbal instead of gong. These sounds are correct when I use Sibelius Sound Essentials, which I will use to create the prerecorded sound version to go along with the saxophone part. Please use your imagination when listening and substitute the correct sounds in your mind. To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/lan_na_thai_blog.html

Dr. B

No comments: