Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Lan Na Thai 1st movement Finished

This morning, I tentatively finished the first movement. I say tentatively because while I feel that is finished now, it may not be in balance with the other movements. It may be necessary to come back to it and lengthen it if the other movements over balance it.

The first movement is 2'52" long. I have repeated some of the earlier material with variations to the instrumentation and melodic line. Since the first part had been so freely composed, I felt that it was necessary to repeat some of the material in order to provide the movement with unity. After the faster and more energetic middle section, the Taiko Drum at 1'22.8" transitions to a slower tempo and more calm ending which concludes quietly with the gong alone.

The alto saxophone part is in concert pitch while I compose the piece. The recorded accompaniment sounds are not accurate on the MIDI playback. The shakuhachi plays back like a saxophone instead of a flute and the gong ageng plays as a cymbal instead of gong. These sounds are correct when I use Sibelius Sound Essentials, which I will use to create the prerecorded sound version to go along with the saxophone part. Please use your imagination when listening and substitute the correct sounds in your mind. To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/lan_na_thai_blog.html

Dr. B

No comments: