I have now completed Contrasts with the exception of getting feedback from John DelVento. I have sent him a copy of the euphonium part for his comments.
I have continued the idea of contrasts throughout this second part. It is imperative that the performers observe the dynamics and articulations for the piece to have its maximum effect. The second part is in an arch form ABCBA where the C section serves as a development of ideas from the A and B sections. The C section also introduces a new thematic idea that is treated canonically. The euphonium uses double tonguing to introduce the canon and the piano uses staccato eighth notes as rapid repetitions of the same pitch are not characteristic of the piano. The sections of the second part are as follows: M. 49-50 transition from slow to fast section. M 51-79 A. M 79-97 B. M 97-101 transition to C. M 102-134 C (development). Of note in this section is the canon I described earlier and the use of the B theme over the canon beginning at M 118. M. 135-138 transition back to B (these contrasting measures are used often for transitions and surprise, like at 157-159 which brings the listener back to the A material). M.160-179 A. M 179-end concluding section or coda.
I urge all composers to format their own parts. When I do this, I see each part from a more linear perspective. While I was formatting the euphonium part, I discovered that I did not give the euphonium player as much rest as I thought I did when composing the piece. This raises a question of endurance and I am asking John to comment on this aspect of the piece. I think it will be okay as there are numerous short rests and two longer multi-measure rests. I became aware of this when trying to figure out where to put page turns. In one place (M. 116), I actually removed some notes from the euphonium part so that a page turn could be accomplished. I added some dynamics at that point to make the rest of it fit what I intended.
To see and hear what I have composed thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/contrasts_blog.html