Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Neverland for Woodwind Quintet Movement 1

I began work on re-scoring my duet version of "Neverland: the Story of Peter Pan in Poetry and Music" for Woodwind Quintet and narrator earlier than planned because I will be on the road for two weeks during April and the seven quintets that expressed interest thus far in this project was enough to get me started. The quintets that are part of the consortium are:
  • Sound Gallery
  • Scirocco Winds
  • San Luis Obispo Woodwind Quintet
  • Quintaero Woodwind Quintet
  • Emerald Wind Quintet
  • Black Marigold Wind Quintet
  • Air City Woodwind Quintet
If any other woodwind quintets want to join the consortium for $25 where the group would become part of the dedication, receive a pdf file of score and parts, and have local premiere rights until April 2015, please contact me at cooppress@cooppress.net or visit http://www.cooppress.net/page9/page385/index.html. There is a narrator part that reads poetry before each movement.

It is a luxury for a composer to be writing for five diverse instruments instead of just two. I can easily expand the harmony, add more counterpoint, and have more timbral choices than when writing for two instruments. All these are incorporated into the first movement. I was also able to link the sections together better because I had more instruments to work out breathing and rests. Another change between the duet version and quintet version is the introduction of some triplet figures that add variety to the rhythm.

Beginning with this blog post, I am able to export my Sibelius Music Notation file as a movie (new to version 7.5). I also started using Noteperformer software for the sounds. These are sample sounds, but the software also includes an algorithm that reads ahead in the music and phrases the music according to context, therefore making the realization closer to live performance. I  upload these videos to youtube and embed the video after the poetry for each movement. I hope that this technology allows the reader to have an easier experience and a more realistic performance. To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/Neverland_WW5_blog.html.
As always, your comments are appreciated.
Dr. B

No comments: