Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Movie Music - Movement 1

This is the first movement of a 3-part flexible instrumentation composition at a high school level. It is being composed through a commissioning consortium where each participant pays a small fee that is partially refundable and receives score and parts, local premiere rights and an inclusion in the dedication. For more information about the consortium, please visit http://www.cooppress.net/page9/page395/index.html 

The composition is being created so that there would be a Part A, B, and C and each part would be available for C, Bb, Eb, F, bass clef, and alto clef instruments so that the piece would be playable by a wide variety of trios from standard to unusual. There are three movements planned: Theme Music, Love Song, and Chase Scene.

I am creating the piece using a three trumpet instrumentation. My reasoning is that I wanted three instruments with a narrow range and endurance challenges. I figure if the composition works for this combination, it would work in any combination. Just to test this out, I created a flute, clarinet and alto saxophone version from the trumpet version and it transferred well just by putting the flute up an octave.

The first movement is called Theme Music. While composing this, I had no particular movie plot in mind. I just wanted something that would be heroic with contrasting sections of lyricism. I also wanted it to build in tension to a climax. Measures 1-5 states the heroic idea before transitioning to a slightly mellower section that uses imitation. At measure 12 and 13, a rhythmic ostinato is introduced. This motive gradually takes over as the composition progresses. Measures 14-23 develops the fanfare idea as well as the more lyrical contrapuntal section. Measure 24 introduces the most lyrical section of the movement, however tension is kept by the use of the rhythmic ostinato. Measure 45 begins the recapitulation therefore creating an ABA form. Tempo changes are used in the closing section to add excitement. The harmonic language is a mixture of triads, quartal and quintal harmony.

I export my Sibelius Music Notation file as a movie (new to version 7.5). I also use Noteperformer software for the sounds. These are sample sounds, but the software also includes an algorithm that reads ahead in the music and phrases the music according to context, therefore making the realization closer to live performance. I  upload these videos to youtube and embed the video for each movement. I hope that this technology allows the reader to have an easier experience and a more realistic performance. To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/Movie_Music_blog.html

As always, your comments are appreciated.
Dr. B

No comments: