Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Movie Music - Movement 2

This is the second movement of a 3-part flexible instrumentation composition at a high school level. It is being composed through a commissioning consortium where each participant pays a small fee that is partially refundable and receives score and parts, local premiere rights and an inclusion in the dedication. For more information about the consortium, please visit http://www.cooppress.net/page9/page395/index.html 

The composition is being created so that there would be a Part A, B, and C and each part would be available for C, Bb, Eb, F, bass clef, and alto clef instruments so that the piece would be playable by a wide variety of trios from standard to unusual. There are three movements planned: Theme Music, Love Song, and Chase Scene.

I am creating the piece using a three trumpet instrumentation. My reasoning is that I wanted three instruments with a narrow range and endurance challenges. I figure if the composition works for this combination, it would work in any combination. Just to test this out, I created a flute, clarinet and alto saxophone version from the trumpet version and it transferred well just by putting the flute up an octave.

The second movement is called Love Music. I guess because I am a tuba player who rarely gets an interesting part in orchestra, I am sensitive to giving each part something of interest. Because of this, my music emphasizes counterpoint and that can make in more challenging for younger musicians to perform because it requires independent counting. At the same time, it teaches musicians to become more secure in their own counting and to listen to other parts to see how their part fits into the whole. These are necessary skills for any musician to develop.

This movement is no exception to my style that emphasizes independence. The use of 6/8 and 9/8 meters are not as familiar as 4/4 and 3/4 but should be in the grasp of high school musicians. My rhythm patterns within these meters have slight variants of the usual rhythmic patterns by incorporating dotted notes, rests on the strong beats, and faster notes on strong beats, all of which creates rhythmic interest.

The form of the movement is ABACBA. The B section is the most intense with rich harmonies. slightly faster tempo, and louder dynamics. The A sections are slightly more melancholy as love has its ups and downs. The C section is the most chromatic, perhaps suggesting doubt in the relationship. However this conflict is resolved at the end when the piece ends on a pure major triad.

I export my Sibelius Music Notation file as a movie (new to version 7.5). I also use Noteperformer software for the sounds. These are sample sounds, but the software also includes an algorithm that reads ahead in the music and phrases the music according to context, therefore making the realization closer to live performance. I  upload these videos to youtube and embed the video for each movement. I hope that this technology allows the reader to have an easier experience and a more realistic performance. To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/Movie_Music_blog.html

As always, your comments are appreciated.
Dr. B

No comments: