Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Modern Jazz Suite Movement 2

The second movement of this suite is called "Cool." Cool jazz is very laid back, therefore I chose a moderate tempo. It also can use odd meters so this movement is in 7/4 time. Another characteristic is the use of pastel type colors therefore the saxophonist is asked to play subtone (with a breathy sound) most of the time.

This movement is typical of what happens when I compose. I begin with an idea and see where it will take me. As a result, the movement seems to develop, much in the manner a development section of a symphony develops. Motives are transformed, counterpoint is used, the music wanders between keys freely, etc. When I get to a certain point, the music suggests a need to restate something familiar, thus I return to the opening material. This restatement is often a slight variation of the opening material therefore one can look at the form of this movement as ABCDEA'B'CCoda. The rehearsal numbers help delineate this form.

I am now using flip pdf technology for the musical examples that go along with my posts. It uses Flash Player that most browsers come with. You will be hearing an mp3 of sampled sounds playing the music and you will see the score at the same time. You will need to turn the pages by clicking on the arrows at the appropriate time. To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/modern_jazz_suite_blog.html.

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Dr. B

No comments: