Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Wonderland Movement 2

I have completed the 2nd movement of this new composition for an ensemble of 3-5 instrumentalists. I am composing the piece for four unspecified instruments, one each in the soprano, alto, tenor, and bass ranges. This gives me flexibility in reducing the score for an ensemble of 3 instrumentalists or enlarging it for 5 instrumentalists. I can also combine lines and add harmony to accommodate a pianist within the group. I will customize the music for each of the participating ensembles in the commissioning consortium. For more information about joining the consortium, please go to http://www.cooppress.net/page9/index.html

The second movement depicts the white rabbit, who is always rushing about and stopping to look at his watch stating "I'm late." The music was designed to create a sense of rushing and stopping as well.

The form of this movement is AABBAABB coda. The scherzo-like A theme uses an eighth two sixteenths rhythmic motive in the 4/4 measure followed by a four sixteenth note motive in the 2/4 measure. The 4/4 measure is the rushing and the 2/4 measure is the stopping. A syncopated idea follows in measures 5-8 as the rabbit is back to his rushing mode. The first 8 measures repeat with a varied orchestration. The B section introduces a new melody that is more sustained, but the rhythmic accompaniment and the insertion of the 2/4 measures still create a sense of rushing and stopping. This section repeats with varied orchestration and the addition of a countermelody. The entire AABB now repeats with slight variation as well as a gradual increase in tempo that leads to the short coda. The harmony is mostly quartal in design that gives the movement a starkness indicative of the single-minded purpose of the white rabbit.

I export my Sibelius Music Notation file as a movie (new to version 7.5). I also use Noteperformer software for the sounds. These are sample sounds, but the software also includes an algorithm that reads ahead in the music and phrases the music according to context, therefore making the realization closer to live performance. I  upload these videos to youtube and embed the video after the poetry for each movement. I hope that this technology allows the reader to have an easier experience and a more realistic performance. The sounds used in the movie are violin, clarinet, trombone, and tuba. To see and hear what I have discussed, go to http://www.cooppress.net/Wonderland_blog.html

As always, your comments are appreciated.
Dr. B

No comments: