Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wonderland Versions

I am now in the process of creating the various version of Wonderland for the commissioning consortium participants. I started with the quartet versions, then I'll do the quintet versions, then the trio with piano versions, and finish up with the generic version that would have parts A, B, C, and D written for a spectrum of instruments in the S, A, T, B range. This version could be used with any S, A, T, B range combination. I am almost finished with the quartet versions. Here is a list of the instrumentation of the project participants:

Reed Quintet
Flute, Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon/Bass
SATB Sax Quartet
Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon (optional Horn)
Piano, Violin, Flute
String Quartet
Viola Ensemble
Flute, Saxophone, Piano
Brass Quintet
Clarinet Quartet (3 clars., 1 BC)
Clarinet Choir (3 clars. Bs. Clar. CB clar)

As you can see, I have my work cut out for me, but fortunately notational software programs make this easier to do. I only need to adjust ranges, articulation, and dynamics. For the quintet versions, I need to divide some of the music among 5 instead of 4 instruments, maybe consider some doubling of parts, and maybe create an enhanced or simplified line or add some additional harmony. There are a lot of possibilities. For the trio versions with piano, I will need to put two of the parts in the piano and maybe add some harmony. I will definitely need to try to make the music more pianistic.

To see and hear Wonderland, go to http://www.cooppress.net/Wonderland_blog.html. I am still accepting groups to join the consortium and will do so until the versions are completed which expect to have done by the end of June. Visit http://www.cooppress.net/page9/index.html for more information.

As always, your comments are appreciated.
Dr. B

No comments: