Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Composing the Initial Idea

One of the most difficult parts of composing is getting started. Because this piece involves the setting of text and I have a general idea of what I would like to do, getting started is a little easier. I know, for instance, that I want to begin fast and stormy. I started with a 6/8 meter because the triple feel of the meter sugests the rolling of the waves. I also wanted a very unsettled feel for the beginning so I chose a lot of diminished 7th chords and other dissonant intervals. With this in mind, I created an opening statement of 6 measures. I think the idea suits what I intended well. Where it goes from here, will be suggested to me by the music. I am looking to set a mood at the beginning of the piece to lead into the opening lines of the poem. My future posts will discuss how I arrived to that point. To see and hear what I have written this far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/fourpoemsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: