Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Friday, August 17, 2007

First Section of First Verse

Today I finished the first section of the first verse of O Captain! My Captain! The vocal line came easily as the words suggested the rhythm and direction of the line. I continued the stormy 6/8 rhythmic feel for the accompaniment, however I did vary the pattern several times. The first usage was continuous eighth notes in the piano broken up between the two hands with the clarinet added a bit later on the first beat when the piano varies the pattern (right hand on beat 1 and left hand on beat 2). The flute inserts commentary when the voice rests. The next variation is the eighth notes creating a four measure sweep from low piano to high flute and back down again. The last variation is the clarinet playing the eighth notes while the piano plays chords. My harmony in this section is mainly minor triads with occasional diminished chords and suggestions of chords in fourths. It has a strong modal flavor. The dynamics are important in bringing out the drama of the line. This section fades away into the next section where I will incorporate the audience speaking the words. It will be interesting to see if that works. To see and hear what I have written thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/fourpoemsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: