Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Starting a new piece

While I am formatting the parts for a piece I just completed for the Washington Sinfonietta called "Legacy" which deals with the global warming issue, I am starting to think about my next composition. It is being composed for the chamber ensemble Conundrum from Cincinnati, OH. The ensemble consists of soprano, flute, clarinet and piano. They would like a piece that can be used as educational outreach as well as for concert purposes. They would like it to tap into literary works students may have studied in school so I got out a book I had on the shelves called "An Anthology of American Poetry". I am in the process of selecting some poems that inspire me. In addition for having the soprano singing the words, I am thinking of having places where the audience would recite parts of the poems while the instruments play. I would project the words similar to Karaoke. I think this would be an affective way to engage the audience. More on all this once I selected the poems.

Dr. B

No comments: