Welcome to my blog

I have created this site in order to provide performers, listeners and composers with a description of a composer's experiences with the creative process. The posts will provide discussions of the inspirations, challenges, and successes of a composer from the inception of the piece to the culmination in performance. I will provide a link to where you can see and hear the works in progress. Comments and questions are always welcomed. They will not posted unless you grant me permission.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Developing the introduction

During the past two days, I have been working on the introductory section. I mentioned in my previous post that the music tells me where to go next. The way that I accomplish this is through my constant awareness of unity and variety. For example, I listened to my first six measures and asked myself does the music need a repetition or change. It told me it needed a repetition. Very rarely are my repetitions literal. In this instance, my repetition is sequential being down a half step and it is also extended and changed at the end. My ear then told me we were ready for some variety and the variety it suggested was rhythmic, therefore accounting for the duplets. What surprised me as I was composing was the need to use the voice at this point. I was planning to save the voice for the text, but I kept hearing a chromatic line as if sirens (sea nymphs) were calling the ship to destruction on the rocks. This section provided a nice contrast to my opening two phrases, while the 6/8 feel in the flute and clarinet provided unity. I then transitioned into the setting of the text by sequencing and fragmenting part of the opening material along with lessening dynamics. To see and hear what I have written thus far, go to http://www.cooppress.net/fourpoemsblog.html

Dr. B

No comments: